Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Mlungisi Myeni


Artist           : Mlungisi Myeni
Title             : My father
Year             : 2014
Size              : 420 x 594mm
Medium      : Black ink on litho paper
Location      : Artist collection


BIOGRAPHY
I was born at Mkuze (Obonjeni Hospital), in 1994, into a big family. In 1996 my mother left Mkuze for good to settle in Cinci area because she was extremely ill. In 2000 when I was six years old my mother died. I was raised in Cinci area by my grandmother (Nester Zondo, Shabalala).
Memorial Mnguni, who taught me Visual Art at Ekupheleni High School for three years, influence my artistic career. After completing my National Senior Certificate I move to settle in Durban, where presently I am doing my National Diploma in Fine art (DUT).
ARTIST STATEMENT
This artwork, titled My Father, is a journey about my family members that I have lost. I am doing this concept because I feel like it is the best way for me to make a connection with my ancestors through art. I always try to make my artworks based on what I received from my ancestors through visions and dreams. 
I like to work using caving tools in the process of printing. I also like to express myself by using symbolic objects as I have shown in my still-life. Each object in the artwork has a different symbolic meaning that contributes to the overall message. In the process of my art making, I have learnt to take problems as they came and try not to fight against them.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment