Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Lily Flowers

Lily Flowers made of gauze

Artist statement

My artwork present a personal experience of losing my brother through a sudden death. It evokes a strong sense of sadness, pain and emptiness. I am influenced by the South African visual and performance artist Steven Cohen who also explores similar subject matter of loss. The use of material in my own work is inspired by Cohen's use of ballet pointe shoes that represent his partner Elu throughout his work for his 2017 solo show title put your heart under your feet...and walk! I used various materials such as wire to create structure for objects such as speakers, bandages and gauze are manipulated into various objects to evoke a sense of pain. In other artworks I have used mixed media.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment