Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Shezi Bongumusa




Artist: Shezi Bongumusa
Title: Deco in Glass
Year: 2014
Size: 420 x 594 mm
Medium/technique: Black ink on Litho Paper, Marley tile carving
Location: Artists collection


Artist Statement
In my artwork I try to examine the popularity of fruit bowls used as table decoration. This decoration is popular in western culture and seems to be adopted by some African people. I have chosen to print using the progressive method. Furthermore I have used various drawing techniques to achieve aesthetically pleasing artwork, with texture. Those techniques are cross-hatching, line and stippling. The printing process takes time. I started by carving less to get the dark first print and I had to kept carving until I achieve the eighth print which is lighter than all the others. I have used different tools to carve the Marley tile, the V-shaped, U-shaped chisel. I copied Still Life with Fruit Compote and Pocket Knife painting by Emma Cady and change it to into a print.
Artist: Cady E.
Title: Still Life with Fruit Compote and Pocket Knife
Year: 1895
Size: Unknown
Medium: Stencil and/or Theorem, Pochoir Painting Watercolour
Location: Abby A Rockefeller Folk Art Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment