Friday, August 8, 2014

Khethiwe Chili




Artist: Khethiwe Chili
Title: Untitled
Size: 51 x 19 cm
Medium: Acrylic paint on brown paper
Year: 2014
Provenance: Artist collection
Price: R300

Artist Statement 
This work attempts to depict city life in the CBD area of Durban. There are two sides to a city; the bright and happy side and the dark dingy side. My work portrays exactly that. The left side of the painting I have painted  using dark tones giving a  sense of dirtiness. You get an uncomfortable and tense feeling looking at it, which is the feeling I get when walking daily through the market to school.  Opposed to the right side,which is in light tones and portrays the happier side of the city. I felt excited while doing the painting and I enjoyed using the dark colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment